Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wed morning... cloudy, damp, storms expected later...62 to start 72 now...humidity is up.

Well I failed firebug 101 again... Got the fire started again yesterday aft... used nearly a gallon of gas along to try to get it to get going and stay going... would throw a cup full on a section and it would flare right up, burn the stuff right there and then nothing underneath it to keep feeding it... there are very few thicker pieces of wood/limbs/branches... just alot of some very branched out limbs and nothing underneath so to speak. It would flare up and burn a bunch of the brushy stuff, but then would just die down with nothing underneath to keep it going... There was one part that actually got into some thicker stems and they burnt for awhile... but then they just kept smoldering... and then when they burned down, there was nothing close to them to continue to feed the fire... I drug some stuff in closer, but there is alot of vines and stuff that are very hard to gather up to throw over,,,, I checked it again at about 11 and there was one good sized piece of old wood that was burning slowly, and the pile is such that I cannot get to some of the stuff to pull it over .... would have been better if he had piled it in 2-3 smaller piles and really piled it down...
So there is some burned... and maybe I can get into it and get some more of it pulled together now to get it burnt....If I didn't want it to burn, it would have gone up in 10 seconds... I am going to do the rest in sections I guess, and get it done.... at least I am not dealing with a runaway fire. I just want it done... there is one section that actually has some smaller limbs and a couple of stump like pieces so they ought to burn. But can't do it today as I have the 500 cow herd to test this afternoon...and more rain coming in later with some winds so do not want to have any problems.

Heading up to feed the calves, then get the boxes of bottles ready, have to empty 2 boxes so that we have places to start to put the bottles in them like we do... I need 10 boxes of 60 bottles each plus at least 2 empty boxes so there is "space" to put bottles in since I do the boxes by "numbers"... and it makes getting them packed easier when I get home to do them by numerical order... Need to call one dairy that I meant to call and sorta forgot... they only test every 2-3 months... I put the bottles into trays for other farms I test, so then they are actually ready ahead of time for me. Got to get on the list of farms and see who wants what this month. So many are probably going full bore getting some corn planted since we actually got some moisture in the ground. Plus if we get the rain they are calling for, then it would be good if they are getting it planted now... some are harvesting rye/wheat/triticale also that they chop and put in bags or silos or bunks.

So, time to get going before it gets wet out there.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thursday morning. Heading up to feed calves. We got the 500+ cow herd tested, and home by 10:30. It went smooth and I will pack samples in awhile.
Cloudy and some possible storms later, but I am not counting on anything. The farm last night is about 35-40 miles north.... they got about 2 inches Monday aft/eve when we got all of .1 inch. Further north another 10-20 miles they got upwards of 4-5 inches. We were on the very edge and only got that 1 tenth....(.1) inch.
Guess we are not on very good terms with the preacher... it goes north along the western area before turning east, or stays south closer to the NC border areas.

I am not sorry we got the total of .7 in the last 5 days, but would sure appreciate about another 1-2 inches.

Good thing I watered the plants all yesterday... Will do some more soaking this afternoon I guess... some of them I know still need more water but I was hoping we would get some of the predicted rain and didn't want to overdo it. But the bigger tubs have drain holes, and I was thinking that by giving them a watering, it would make them more able to handle some good rain. Didn't happen. There is a 20-30% chance Sat and partly cloudy forecast for the next week but not much chance. Of course, if we had hay on the ground, that 20% chance would wind up being a 1 inch soaker that pops up from out of nowhere...

Going to work on the pile some more later. No time constraints for burning now. Maybe I can get more of the section with some of the bigger saplings going... and pull/push some of the lighter weight stuff into it.

There are a bunch of volunteer potatoes coming up but they will mostly get scorched by the burning brush.. I have potatoes sprouting every where in the boxes... desperately need them to get planted...