Do I feed my market lamb alfalfa?

Backyard_show2116

Just born
Reaction score
Hello! I’m new to owning sheep, and I’m raising this one for market. We have plenty of grass, and are going to be giving it a show feed. But I want to know if I need to get alfalfa for him? Or just alfalfa pellets and mix it in with his feed? Thank you in advance.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello! I’m new to owning sheep, and I’m raising this one for market. We have plenty of grass, and are going to be giving it a show feed. But I want to know if I need to get alfalfa for him? Or just alfalfa pellets and mix it in with his feed? Thank you in advance.
Is this a market lamb like one that will be shown and then sold? Or just a lamb that is going to be raised and then sold?

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Shown and then sold
I feed my show lambs alfalfa, it's not necessary but it's usually better to give them that than a coastal/grass hay, you can let him eat a little bit of grass if you want but not a lot at all because they will get a big grass belly if they eat enough of it which doesn't take long and you don't really want them to have a super huge belly when showing them. I wouldn't do the alfalfa pellets, lambs need hay to keep their rumen working good. If the alfalfa you can get is high quality it should be fine to feed, what brand of show feed are you feeding?

Latest posts