Leonidas' Story

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Leo is stuck in the night pen for foreseeable future. The ground is so stinking wet he can put his paws on my crappy dividing fence and lean it over t-posts and all. Not braced and stretched yet because rain came before the money, sigh.

He's also digging out under north water meadow fence to explore neighborhood. Not sure what to do since a low strand of electric to prevent digging would be in water...

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The loss of Bruno is probably upsetting his life too. You could try putting a "drag" on him, but if he is digging out he will just go through the hole and get stuck which would be dangerous for him. Locking him in the night pen is the best for now. Once the ground dries out you can repair things - as Noah said to his children. LOL

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
This weekend we played musical animal pens which included letting Leo out of solitary since I fixed the south paddock fence I thought... Leo found another section and invited himself into north paddock with sheep. He stayed there though! Including overnight when sheep were locked up but LGD were allowed to patrol. There is one 15 minute loop into vacant neighboring property but I'm not sure if it's real or sensor ghost (ignore dog pic). I'm okay with quick run thru crap fence to chase critter off then returning to patrol.

Screenshot_20240519-070737826~2.jpg

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are still working on managing puppy zoomies in the morning. Best routine so far is to have house dog out in home acre so he can distract Leo then let sheep out. If I have time walking Leo farther into pasture singing the Sheep, Sheep come out works. Otherwise he herds them back into night shelter and is too fast moving for the sheep's nerves.

This morning though...:lol: Completed that including a quick grooming session on one side of his body. Then I heard him sound off and go full throttle back to sheep shed. I followed and one of the ewes was POSSESSED BY A YELLOW BUCKET. Leo had ewe herded into corner of night pen by shoulder checking and closed mouthed nose bumps to her butt. Any time she twitched he barked. Ewe was terrified but I about keeled over laughing. I freed the ewe from the bucket and Leo did a visible double take. Sniffed her all over then followed me back to home acre gate.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Otherwise he herds them back into night shelter and is too fast moving for the sheep's nerves.
All our Anatolians do the same. They believe that the proper place for sheep is where they were put. Even though we let them out or change them around the Anatolians KNOW that we are not smart enough to understand the dynamics. When Ozel was young and just learning, we had to go out with a lead and tie her to the fence while letting the sheep out, Now her herding is good since she runs them out of the barn when they get through the pasture fence i the back of the barn and commence to gobbling the hay bales. LOL
one of the ewes was POSSESSED BY A YELLOW BUCKET.
OH NO! Alien sheep have landed - don't worry Mom - I got this! :lol: Good boy, Leonidas! You saved the flock and family from intergalactic invasion.