Rabbit weight loss and ear mites - I have some questions about treatment and medications

Reaction score
Hi. I have two giant rabbit does I brought home a couple months ago. Both girls have ear mites, and the older doe seems like she has lost some weight since bringing her home, and I’ve got a few questions.

So, about the older doe’s weight. She is 2 years old and weighs 11 pounds. The previous owner free fed pellets and hay, I have limited each doe to 2 cups of pellets a day. They get unlimited hay and I offer collard greens, cilantro, oats, and bits of banana and carrot as treats. She’s not severely underweight or emaciated by any means, but I feel that she is scrawnier than she should be and I’d like to see her full out a bit. I have heard that e cuniculi can cause weight loss, so I guess that leads to my first questions

1. Should I be concerned about e cuniculi, or is this a feeding issue?

2. I am currently using liquid SafeGuard Fenbendazole to do a 9 day deworming/preventative treatment for both does, as a precaution before breeding this fall. Should I extend the treatment to 28 days to eradicate the risk of this being e. Cuniculi? Is it possible I’m dealing with worms and the 9 days is all I need?

3. I’m currently syringe feeding the fenbendazole to them, is this perhaps something that I could pour over their pellets to get them to take easier?

Now to the ear mites. I believe both does have ear mites. I tried olive oil for about two weeks and thought it had cleared it up, but the scabs and flakes returned and the girls seem more agitated than before. The older doe has scratched the back of her neck and between her shoulder blades practically bare over the course of the last three days, and I can see a large amount of scabby flakes fairly deep inside her ear. I’ve read that ivermectin, either given orally or via injection, is the most successful treatment option for ear mites.

Is this safe to dose at the same time as fenbendazole?

Should I try olive oil again? Are there other topically applied options?

Are there any risks with the olive oil, such as using too much or getting it too far into their ear? Would I be better off using something like Vaseline or coconut oil?

Thanks so much for any help. I’m not sure what the right next step is!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t know what a cumiculi is, but I can tell you don’t put Safeguard on their feed, it tastes bad.
Use mineral oil for the ear mites.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she's not head tilting, urinating excessively, having tremors, then I'd rule out e cuniculi as a primary.

I've used fenben & ivermectin together, or within a day, in horses & goats. Rabbits? I'd think the dewormers would kill off the mites.

Reaction score
I don’t know what a cumiculi is, but I can tell you don’t put Safeguard on their feed, it tastes bad.
Use mineral oil for the ear mites.
Thanks for the help! Aside from the fact that it tastes bad, are there any detriments to putting the medication over something for them to eat vs syringe feeding it to them, seeing as they will be eating it one way or another? With the mineral oil, am I wanting to wipe this on the inside of their ear or use a dropper to get it deeper in? About how much should I aim to use on each doe’s ear? How often do I apply it, and what is the duration of the treatment?

From what I understand, e cuniculi is a parasite that targets brain tissue and causes head tilt, weight loss, and paralysis predominantly in the back legs.

If she's not head tilting, urinating excessively, having tremors, then I'd rule out e cuniculi as a primary.

I've used fenben & ivermectin together, or within a day, in horses & goats. Rabbits? I'd think the dewormers would kill off the mites.
Thanks for the help! It would certainly be wonderful it helped with the mites too.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Safeguard is a liquid that tastes bad, being a liquid it will make the pellets mushy and even less appealing. Use the syringe. Treat for the specified period, overkill is not necessary.

Mineral oil in the ear, use a dropper full, each ear. The rabbit will shake her head, spreading it up the ear. Do it daily until all scab is gone and rabbit is not scratching at her ear. Once clean, a monthly maintenance for a couple of days will keep mites from moving back in.

Reaction score
Safeguard is a liquid that tastes bad, being a liquid it will make the pellets mushy and even less appealing. Use the syringe. Treat for the specified period, overkill is not necessary.

Mineral oil in the ear, use a dropper full, each ear. The rabbit will shake her head, spreading it up the ear. Do it daily until all scab is gone and rabbit is not scratching at her ear. Once clean, a monthly maintenance for a couple of days will keep mites from moving back in.
Alright, I will do those things and update if I have any issues or questions. Thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate it!