What breed/mix etc......

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So we've raised show rabbits for a while now but we wanted like a trio of meat rabbits. So would it be better to have mutts or purebreds? We where thinking of using the pelts as well so we where thinking maybe satins/rex/silver fox? Finding stock won't be a problem as we attend many rabbit shows. We would also want something that has a good personality because if I have to stick my hand in one more snarky rabbits cage i'm going to loose my noodle. We would only have maybe 2-4 does and a buck. Though we would take what works best I would prefer something with some color (between the 2 of us we breed himilayan rabbits, english spot, white and light grey flemish giants and dwarf hotots so a splash of some nice color would be nice). Like i said we've shown show rabbits for quite some time but we don't have any experiance with meat rabbits.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We are trying silver fox, because of their lovely personality and unique fur for tanning. I also plan on crosses one with a new zealand and see how we feel about the offspring for butchering.

Sounds like you have a good plan, we have a rex buck right now that we have used a couple times with our new zealand doe, the offspring seem very efficient on feed.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
We are trying silver fox, because of their lovely personality and unique fur for tanning. I also plan on crosses one with a new zealand and see how we feel about the offspring for butchering.

Sounds like you have a good plan, we have a rex buck right now that we have used a couple times with our new zealand doe, the offspring seem very efficient on feed.
So when you cross your rex do they end up with rex fur or normal fur? I personaly have always liked the silver fox and have been looking for a reason to get some (I already have 2 breeds to work on so i was fighting with myself). I also like the satins (we've always liked the mini satins but they where another one we couldn't let ourselves have) and the rex have the fur (we don't want to let anything go to waist).

crazyturkeydesigns

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
manybirds said:
So when you cross your rex do they end up with rex fur or normal fur? I personaly have always liked the silver fox and have been looking for a reason to get some (I already have 2 breeds to work on so i was fighting with myself). I also like the satins (we've always liked the mini satins but they where another one we couldn't let ourselves have) and the rex have the fur (we don't want to let anything go to waist).
I don't think you'd get rex fur if you crossed as it's a recessive trait, but it might be one of those weird ones that still affects the coat like the ej gene does to otters. Not sure, haven't done a lot of reading up on rex crosses. They are good meat buns, though, so it'd definitely be worth a go.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
crazyturkeydesigns said:
manybirds said:
I don't think you'd get rex fur if you crossed as it's a recessive trait, but it might be one of those weird ones that still affects the coat like the ej gene does to otters. Not sure, haven't done a lot of reading up on rex crosses. They are good meat buns, though, so it'd definitely be worth a go.
ours didn't, we crossed a rex buck with new zealand doe and the offspring look just like mom. None of htem have rex fur. But we don't have a lot of rabbits. So not tons of experience,

The silver fox are hard to find, And again, I have no idea what the crosses would look like, We will be finding out hopefully sooner than later since we have an appointment to pick up a silver fox doe tomorrow and the buck we will be using is a new zealand/ rex cross. I decided to keep the cross buck and get rid of the rex buck, because he is very very hard to handle, and the new zealand doe was bigger, so i figure the cross buckling will be a little bigger than the rex buck, the cross buckling is still young, maybe 5 months, and tame, since he was born here and we handled him a lot.

Good luck on your search, I thought the satins also looked interesting. We are trying to go with the silver fox, eventually, when I can find some, Since my son shows in 4H he wantedd a meat rabbit, but also a more unique breed for showing. We have been on a waiting list for 6 months for a trio. It is a long story.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
crazyturkeydesigns said:
manybirds said:
ours didn't, we crossed a rex buck with new zealand doe and the offspring look just like mom. None of htem have rex fur. But we don't have a lot of rabbits. So not tons of experience,

The silver fox are hard to find, And again, I have no idea what the crosses would look like, We will be finding out hopefully sooner than later since we have an appointment to pick up a silver fox doe tomorrow and the buck we will be using is a new zealand/ rex cross. I decided to keep the cross buck and get rid of the rex buck, because he is very very hard to handle, and the new zealand doe was bigger, so i figure the cross buckling will be a little bigger than the rex buck, the cross buckling is still young, maybe 5 months, and tame, since he was born here and we handled him a lot.

Good luck on your search, I thought the satins also looked interesting. We are trying to go with the silver fox, eventually, when I can find some, Since my son shows in 4H he wantedd a meat rabbit, but also a more unique breed for showing. We have been on a waiting list for 6 months for a trio. It is a long story.
They arn't too hard to find at sanctioned rabbit shows. If you look for a breeder and find what shows they will be attending see what they have forsale go to the show and you could purchase some. I just love them. I'll have to see what i can find forsale and then decide. I think we'll have some satins and some rex silver fox......... and whatever else is really pretty! we've been breeding for show for so long it would be fun to do some mutts and stuff.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
manybirds said:
20kidsonhill said:
crazyturkeydesigns said:

They arn't too hard to find at sanctioned rabbit shows. If you look for a breeder and find what shows they will be attending see what they have forsale go to the show and you could purchase some. I just love them. I'll have to see what i can find forsale and then decide. I think we'll have some satins and some rex silver fox......... and whatever else is really pretty! we've been breeding for show for so long it would be fun to do some mutts and stuff.
I don't think there are any shows around us.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
manybirds said:
20kidsonhill said:

I don't think there are any shows around us.
They're everywhere all the time. Go to ARBA website and go to 'shows' then scroll down to your state and look.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
there are 5 listed for our entire state for the rest of the year, that is NOT very many compared to some of the other states. Around a 2 hour drive from our house.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
there are 5 listed for our entire state for the rest of the year, that is NOT very many compared to some of the other states. Around a 2 hour drive from our house.
ONLY 5?!?!?! We live in WI and there normaly arnt that many but more than 5 in a year. (we'll drive 4 hours for a small show and somebreeders will drive any where from 8-14 hrs for a show but then again we ARE crazy rabbit showers

Latest posts