What should I do with a very aggressive (and getting more aggressive) buck?

Fangeddeer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was given my buck for free because he was aggressive and knocked over his owner. Since then he was okay but he slowly got more and more aggressive. I’ve only been rough when he’s going to ram me or someone else (grabbing his horns and holding/pushing him away)
But since my doe had her baby, and he can no longer be with her, he’s getting twice as more aggressive and abnormal. He cries, rams, ties himself up way more than usual (he’s out on a rope)

I tried letting him around his baby but he tried to attack it multiple times. His breeder also told me he was like this as a kid as well. I’m thinking cutting off his balls will do the trick, will it not? Please give me suggestions!

Fangeddeer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
And also today, he was let to free range and immediately went to peoples houses trying to attack and destroying their property. I will make sure to not let him loose once more

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m thinking cutting off his balls will do the trick, will it not?
Sorry you're having this problem.

If the aggression is testosterone induced, castration "may" help. But do you want to wait until someone is injured before you know? Honestly, I would consider euthanasia before someone really gets hurt or he causes damage to property that you will be monetarily responsible for.

The last thing I would do is to rehome him. You were given a free goat because he is dangerous. The person that gave him to you simply passed their problem on to someone else. Not exactly being responsible.

If he was like this as a baby the aggression might be inherited. Very likely he could pass on his personality to his kids. That's not a trait I would want to perpetuate by breeding him again.

I know this isn't an easy decision. Oftentimes the right decision is the hardest.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honestly, stockyard.... sell him at the stockyard, get some hay/grain money out of him. Tell them when you take him in, he is aggressive... Most likely he will go for meat and the problem is done with. Your responsibility ends when he is sold and if you tell them he is aggressive, you are not hiding anything. A stockyard/sale barn, is for buyer beware, and much/most animals go to slaughter if they are mature, ESPECIALLY male animals.

Or bury him, which is throwing money in a hole in the ground.

It is unlikely at the age of a mature buck he will be much affected by castration. The attitude and problem and habit is already there.

Fangeddeer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you both, I hope his kid doesn’t get it as well. If anything I’m fine with getting rid of him even if it means for his meat because no animal should turn this fast under what? 4-5 months? Just because he was separated? I think it is something from his parents, like a dog. Just something wrong in the mind. I thought I could change him but he not only does what I said, but attacked his doe over food and attacked me as well, would force her away when wanting to eat and only ate her and his food. I had to tie him up so she could eat and even then she was skittish. He has scar-ed me because once he did attack me in the chin and it was a common thing for me to have bruises on my legs. I’m sad to see him go, but if everyone says it’s for the best I will listen

She is way better without him, if my family decides against it I’ll give a month of him being neutered to test the waters with no free range. If nothing changes, to the stock yard, because maybe they’ll figure him out or kill him.

Either way, the idea of peacefulness is a sad yet thing I’m very much longing for.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't spend the time or money to neuter him. MiniHorses is right - he is so old that neutering him will not make a difference. You will just end up with a wether that is aggressive and attacks people and animals. Do NOT give him away since he can hurt someone else and it will be your fault since you know how dangerous he is. Take him to the auction and sell him. Be sure to let them know that he is aggressive. You will get some money for him and be rid of the problem. Sometimes bucks bring more $$ as bucks instead of wethers.

Keeping him is an accident waiting to happen. You already have been injured. If he gets loose and injures a neighbor it is a lawsuit. Since he has horns, he is even more dangerous since he can hook someone or another animal with his horns and gut them. The sale yard is the place for him.

Don't feel sorry about getting rid of him at an auction. The people that gave him to you should be ashamed of turning a dangerous animal over to you.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't waste time & money on castration. Stockyard him or freezer him. He's an accident waiting to happen.

Next do not use horns -- it's a challenge to him if he's attacking. Carry a stick and bust him across the nose or shoulder.
Agree, don't waste your money or time to castrate.

Fangeddeer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Does anyone have any auction places suggestions for Northern California? I guess it depends where I am, but I’ve never done any of this before. Would I call an auction house and ask to take him? And say he’s aggressive?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Contact @Ridgetop through PM if you feel better about asking privately. Or @SageHill ... both are in Calf..... they would be the best help since they are at least in the same state... many of us are in Va or Tx .... little bit of a drive to sell one Goat (haha):lol::gig:smack. The procedure to take an animal to auction/stock yard/sale barn.... Find out what day they sell (most are once a week) .... some sell certain breeds certain days if selling more than once a week... Cattle one day, small livestock like sheep goats etc, another day... some morning, some afternoons... each one is different...
So find a sale near to you, you load him up and take him... they will check you in as he is unloaded... gets weighed and you get a slip; or to be sold by the head instead of the weight, they normally will tell you what their general practice is... tell them he is aggressive so they can be careful and often it is put on the sale slip.... whenever they sell them, he goes through the ring, people bid on him, he goes out... you get a check at the office after a little bit... or they will take your name and address and mail you a check... You will take what they get for him.... it might be good and it might not be much... depends on what buyers are there that day....that is a crap shoot... certain times of year sheep and goats do better... especially around some ethnic holidays.... greater demand a week or 2 before some of their holidays....

Some sale barns/stockyards sell more small livestock and have more buyers...you will pay a commission for them to sell him... I don't know what small livestock commissions are... we pay about $25 to $35 a head for the feeder cattle in the 500 lb range... Obviously we get alot more for the feeder calves... I would say $10-$25 for a sheep or goat maybe...

It takes time to get to know the markets.... at this point, you will probably not sell often at a market like that... so find one that takes small livestock, and get rid of him before he REALLY hurts someone, or does something stupid like hangs himself or something on his tie out rope. But maybe ridgetop or Sagehill can help you find one....

Latest posts